The Basics: Immediately Actionable Items
There are two different ways to look at the top local ranking factors: what matters and what you should work on. Several of the key factors to ranking are well are out of the typical company’s grasp, but here is a list of 10 recommended factors that you can work on today.
The actionable factors are:
- Your physical address matching/listing the city where you’re located.
- Manually verifying your ownership of the company’s Google Places page.
- Having proper category associations for your page and citations.
- Having a large number of “traditional structured citations” for your business (on sites like Internet yellow pages and local place aggregators).
- Having your address listed on your company website, and make sure that address is crawlable.
- Having a well-ranked (PR) company website.
- Having high-quality inbound links to your company website.
- Having your phone number listed on your company website, and making sure that phone number is crawlable.
- Having an accurate local area code listed on your Google Places page.
- Having your city and state listed in the page title for your Google Places landing page.
original article: https://www.davidmihm.com/local-search-ranking-factors.shtml
and discussed here: https://searchenginewatch.com/article/2094582/Understanding-the-98-Google-Local-Ranking-Factors